Goddammit, spent too long looking for the missing answers and Greg D. beats me to it. >_<

(ETA: Greg, where’s the 2h answer, if you don’t mind? I had a skim through MotG, but didn’t see it.

RETA: Oh buggerit, NVM – pg. 6. I knew that sounded familiar.)

Random though – could 4c be Scar?
“Is that a challenge, Scar?” –the king of Pride Rock.

Also, 4a – Leeloo?
… or, like, any Disney heroine (e.g. Frozen). … could theme 4 be Disney related? Hm. Nah, probably not.

… and 4h feels like it’s on the tip of my brain…

Aardy R. DeVarque said on January 13th, 2015 at 12:08 am

And here I thought the answer to 4i was “Christopher H. D. Bird”.

4h might be Victoria from Stardust (in reference to Yvaine). That might work if the theme of 4 is something disguised as a person/man (which picks up Mulan and Agent Smith as well.)

Acutally, lets make the theme of 4 simpler: disguise. Then 4a could be Queen Chrysalis from My Little Pony.

UnlikelyLass said on January 13th, 2015 at 8:45 am

If 1is Shakespeare adaptions, I will be sorely disappointed if we don’t get a Strange Brew reference in there (it’s basically Hamlet).

The Unstoppable Gravy Express said on January 13th, 2015 at 11:01 am

–Could 6C be the Living Tribunal?
–Isn’t there a King of the Rock in Game of Thrones somewhere?

Unstoppable Gravy Express, that was my first thought too. The Lannisters were Kings of the Rock but I couldn’t find anyone refusing to fight them.
The Mulan guess comes from this scene http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXSX84eVUCs

6c does sound like it could be the Living Tribunal.

Wolfthomas said on January 13th, 2015 at 11:31 am

4.G Tywin Lannister?

The Unstoppable Gravy Express said on January 13th, 2015 at 11:38 am

Does GoT use dollars though??

The Unstoppable Gravy Express said on January 13th, 2015 at 11:44 am

If category 4 is some version of “characters with the power/ability of disguise” then could 4B be Mystique?

4a. Who was once endowed with the power of love? Queen Chrysalis from My Little Pony
4b. Who was adopted by a demon? Mystique
4c. Who refused to fight the King of the Rock? Mulan
4d. Which rose was plucked by the younger son of a king?
4e. Who remembered a cat?
4f. Who hated the smell of humans? Agent Smith
4g. Who is estimated to have a fortune exceeding one billion dollars?
4h. Who believed there was a star expressly for her?
4i. Whose middle names were the result of a local tradition?

From Unlikely Lass:

Could 5f be the Alan Brady character (played by Carl Reiner) from the Dick Van Dyke show? Doesn’t really fit the theme, though.

It does, though! Carl Reiner once guested on Mad About You not as himself, but as Alan Brady. That would be two crossovers with Mad About You in this theme. Undoubtedly all the shows in the crossovers are part of the Westphall Universe.

5a. John Munch of L&O:SVU and everything else. His brother runs a funeral parlor, and Munch jokes about sending him some business occasionally. It would just be wrong if Richard Belzer didn’t make this category.

So 5 is characters who’ve crossed over into another TV show.

Don’t feel bad, Thornae. I spent a long time looking these things up. I read these books over and over when I was a teenager, and it was pure luck that some of those questions tickled those old memories. At first I thought that I was insane, but then actual research revealed that I was right on track.

I am still unable to find 2b and 2e. I thought 2b might be Frolix from “Asterix and the Soothsayer”, but he’s not a roman character. I’ve been going through some scanned copies of the books posted online, and I recommend you do the same.

I don’t know if it fits the theme, but…

4e could conceivably be Anya/Anastasia from the animated film. “And I recall his yellow cat!” is the first real hint Vlad and Dmitri get that she is the real Anastasia.

There was definitely a King of the Rock in Westeros, and my feeling is that that’s what 4c points to. There’s enough weird historical stuff in ASoIaF that there’s got to be something relevant in there.

Okay, I’ve got 2b. It was the spy, Caligula Minus, from the very first book: Asterix the Gaul!

…and I still have no idea which the last one is. 😛

Also pretty sure 4d is someone from House Tyrell in ASoIaF, but I haven’t been able to pin down who just yet.

chrisrw109 said on January 14th, 2015 at 12:22 pm

For a minute I was thinking 4 might just be a reference to Gaiman works…. but that doesn’t really fit other than the obvious ones.

4c. Who refused to fight the King of the Rock? Shadow (Didn’t fight Mad Sweeney)

4h. Who believed there was a star expressly for her? Victoria

Chrisrw109- it’s possible 4 is Gaiman-related. He did write a short story for the Matrix. But, disguises is probably the better fit, or people who aren’t what they appear to be.

1i is probably from Romeo Must Die?

If 4 is people in disguise could 4g be Bruce Wayne/Batman?

4g could be Batman. Based on this article Wayne Enterprises is worth $1.45 billion and Bruce himself has anywhere between 6.9 and 11.6 billion.

6d. Theodoric of York. SNL season 4, episode 4, wherein he acts as the judge of a witch trial.

(I know that Joni Mitchell started smoking at nine, but as this isn’t asking after that sort of trivia, it remains an interesting but inapplicable bit of data.)

1f. is probably people from the Gnomeo and Juliet movie. I never saw it, but who else would be Shakespeare adaptation gardeners?

Regarding 5H: One episode of Community made a major distinction between custodians and janitors. Abed had guest-starred on Cougertown some time before that; I can’t recall if he voiced that distinction himself or not, but the circumstances could apply.

The Unstoppable Gravy Express said on January 19th, 2015 at 8:55 am

MGK, what’s the deadline for us to figure these out BTW?

MGK, what’s the deadline for us to figure these out BTW?

I’ll post the answers on Thursday, so: Thursday morning, I guess.

The Unstoppable Gravy Express said on January 21st, 2015 at 8:15 am

For some reason decided to watch “Lucy” last night AND SHE REMEMBERED A CAT OMFG

FOUR: Characters with the Power of Disguise

4b. Who was adopted by a demon? Mystique
4c. Who refused to fight the King of the Rock? Mulan
4d. Which rose was plucked by the younger son of a king?
4e. Who remembered a cat? Lucy (Scarlett Johansson)
4f. Who hated the smell of humans? Agent Smith
4g. Who is estimated to have a fortune exceeding one billion dollars? Bruce Wayne
4h. Who believed there was a star expressly for her?
4i. Whose middle names were the result of a local tradition?

slappy the happy robot said on January 21st, 2015 at 1:42 pm

i don’t think the “power of disguise” theme makes sense at all for #4 because a lot of the entries aren’t people with the power of disguise. putting on a costume (batman) or dressing up like a man (mulan) aren’t “powers”

just think everybody’s going the wrong way on #4 is all

@slap the happy robot – that is a very literal interpretation of the phrase used by The Unstoppable Gravy Train Express. I bet you frown a lot. I wish you happiness.

I think ‘Characters who Transform’ could be another way to describe the category but that’s a cosmetic change: the general concept is the same.

I keep wanting the 6 categories to merge into a super-answer. Something that combines Shakespeare adaptations, Asterix, Ducks, Judges, Transformation, and TV Crossovers… but I guess that’s not what this quiz is about. (But I did just learn there is a Donald Duck Transformer toy!)

Thanks for the fun quiz, blogman.

The Unstoppable Gravy Express said on January 22nd, 2015 at 8:52 am

“The Merry Transforming Duck-Judges of Asterix” (guest starring The Fonz!)