Related Articles

It’s not that the song is racist, it’s that the song is STUPID. At no point in that rambling, incoherent song were they even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. We must award them no points, and may God have mercy on their souls.”

Pantsless Pete said on April 10th, 2013 at 9:16 pm

I think that, in all seriousness Mr God King, that you should watch the anime Tiger and Bunny and talk about it a bit.

It’s superheroes filtered through the concept Japanese talent agency system and it is one of the more interesting takes on the genre in any medium over the past few years.

The Unstoppable Gravy Express said on April 11th, 2013 at 8:34 am

I thought it was M. Ight Ygodking?

slappy the happy robot said on April 11th, 2013 at 10:10 am

I thought it was M. Ight Ygodking?

M. Nighty Godkingalan

Mitchell Hundred said on April 11th, 2013 at 11:28 am

Just had another idea: an Explaining Hollywood post describing how they decided to cast Johnny Depp as Tonto. Because I would like to hear the thought process behind that.

And before anyone asks: Yes, I am aware that he may have some Aboriginal blood in his family tree. I doubt that anyone has ever thought of him as anything other than an overwhelmingly white guy.

SilverHammerMan said on April 11th, 2013 at 1:44 pm

Wonderman? Wonderman and Beast? I think Wonderman is neat and you should talk about him.

Energy-Puking Boy said on April 11th, 2013 at 2:41 pm

@Mitchell: I maintain Johnny Depp as Tonto works totally fine, as long as you cast Adam Beach as the Lone Ranger.

Not sure if you want a post mocking Hollywood casting decisions or an actual answer, but as best I understand, Depp really wanted to play Tonto. And he’s a big enough star to get the role–being friends and frequent coworkers with Bruckheimer probably didn’t hurt, either.

It’s also not like they had a movie idea and were holding auditions for the guy to play Tonto, and decided upon Depp. The thing basically started with “Johnny Depp as Tonto, and Bruckheimer as producer”, and they built the movie up from there. Depp was cast back in September 2008, well before they had anyone else cast (they didn’t have an actual Lone Ranger until May 2011), or even a finished script.

switchnode said on April 12th, 2013 at 1:41 am

One more question, previously forgotten: How long do you expect/intend Al’Rashad to run? Are we a significant way into a fast, hard-hitting story about a particular flashpoint, or still in the setup phase of something much longer and more sprawling?

On a related note, do you think of it more as a webcomic, or as a comic book that happens to be on the web? That seems a rather silly distinction written out, but I still think of the two formats as quite distinct, especially in terms of pacing. I’d had some reservations about Al’Rashad in that vein—but it occurred to me that I might have been taking my cues from the wrong body of work.

So many days late, so many dollars short.

Have you taken a look at the reboot of GHOST that Dark Horse is doing?

The Unstoppable Gravy Express said on April 15th, 2013 at 8:45 am

If Marvel asked you to write “WHAT IF… Anne Frank had been a Belieber??”, would you do it? And if so, what approach would you take? 🙂

(Personally I’m torn between “Anne is ported to present-day via Dr Strange” and “Justin is sent back to WWII and tortured by Nazis”)