Shotaru Kaneda was the biker kid from Akira, I like to think of him as the main protagonist, others disagree with that assessment, he was still cool.

I admit, probably the only reason I don’t care for Kaneda is the dub I watched… God, such a typical annoying 15-year-old-white-kid voice.

I know mocking Wizards list is easy…but I’d still like to read it. It’s a cheap laugh, but oh so satisfying.

El_Gran_Pachango said on June 4th, 2008 at 2:38 am

I very much approve this list. It’s quite accurate, even though I am more of a Nabiki Tendo man myself.

And for all the people (I can bet you’re American because Disney comics ain’t so hot over there) that don’t understand why Scrooge McDuck is so high on the list: Please read Carl Barks’ or Don Rosa’s Scrooge McDuck Comics(you can easily find the paperbacks), you won’t regret it. They’re awesome adventure comics.

Batman is higher on the list only because he is better known and has blockbuster movies (i kid, i kid) =P

But seriously, Batman, Wolverine and many other can only wish to be half as badass as Uncle Scrooge. Why do you think Spiderman is so Emo? Because he knows he will never be so awesome as him.

😉

vonDread said on June 4th, 2008 at 2:42 am

I second the confusion over Molly Hayes. I only know of the one from Runaways. And isn’t Buddy Baker Animal Man?

vonDread said on June 4th, 2008 at 2:50 am

Addendum: my own list would look pretty similar, though I haven’t read (nor am I interested in reading) a whole lot of manga, so I wouldn’t feel qualified to judge any of those characters. Probably a few more X-Characters, like Cyclops, Madrox, and Colossus. I’d definitely put Oracle and Black Canary up there too.

Molly Hayes from The Books of Magic? Don’t you mean Molly O’Reilly?

El_Gran_Pancho: Spidey could be emo because writers have forgotten he is a genius capable of talking to Reed Richards about science and not be proven wrong every other sentence, the last time I’ve seen this used is when he hacked his iron-spidey suit or in Spiderman loves Mary Jane where he is seen walking away from a pile of books of which at least one had been written by Reed.

One of my friends has been saying Reed Richards is a villain for, literally, years and how he is being portrayed now proves him right, I don’t like that at all, it’s like the writer is channeling him. I don’t care how Reed is portrayed I just don’t want my friend to be right or to remind me of it every time we get together.

The lack of Molly Hayes from Runaways is disturbing!

ithidet said on June 4th, 2008 at 6:21 am

WHAT THE FUCK ABOUT HELLBOY!

Man_ape said on June 4th, 2008 at 6:52 am

WTF is Golgo 13 doing on the list?
You were just bashing wizard for placing Byronic hero’s so high on up on there list and then put a bland unresting killer for hire at 23?!!

CandidGamera said on June 4th, 2008 at 9:19 am

Lister : If you’ve read nothing of Ambush Bug, you may not be in the best position to judge. Wade has been more fully developed, simply by the virtue of having more appearances, but Ambush Bug’s role is utterly unique. Even Deadpool, for all his nods to the fourth-wall, stands amongst the characters of the MArvel Universe, where as Ambush Bug stands perpetually apart from the DC universe.

That should be Buddy Bradley at No. 29.

Sofa King said on June 4th, 2008 at 6:29 pm

MODOK. No, wait, I don’t care. He’s MODOK. Giant head in a chair. Can’t get more out the other side of awesome than that.

Deadpool is awesome, for a guy who has only been written decently for about 50 issues he is amazingly well developed as a superhero (christ I think I just lost my soul, or some organs…maybe both) especially for a Deathstroke the terminator knockoff crafted by Rob Liefeld, and Fabian Nicieza.

I actually have no problem with Fabian, it’s Liefeld I don’t like.

No Ray Dominguez?

Haven’t been online that much this week (acid washing a pool, pulling carpets, etc.), but I saw you mention that you can’t find a download for the Miracleman work. Isohunt, dude.

EvilAbrahamLincoln said on June 5th, 2008 at 7:43 pm

Thanks for the Akane love. If I didn’t have to type, I’d post my own reasons for her position on your list. And, NCallahan, re-read the Strength Sapping Moxibustion arc. Akane travels across Japan (by herself) to find Ranma. She sets herself on fire, for his benefit. She (once again) stands between Ranma and a person with enough strength to palm boulders. And, just to make her position perfectly clear, she helps him fight against one of the most powerful characters in the series, culminating with her desperate leap into _a fucking tornado_, so that she could recover the cure for the aforementioned technique. And she doesn’t complain, or cry, or worry about her safety, she just does it. For him. And Nabiki? She’s made a decent amount of money by selling naked pictures of him, using him as a personal gigolo, and giving all of his enemies _the place, directions and schedule of his wedding_.

Zenrage said on June 6th, 2008 at 1:18 pm

I would have stuck Oktane in the top 10. He was a Dark Horse character that was published for four issues back in the early 90’s. If you read it today, you would have thought it was just published yesterday.

Oktane was beyond description brilliant. He was seen as the enigmatic loner, but what was different about Oktane is that he used that sense of social enigma to get whatever he needed and he was intelligent enough to tell each individual person exactly what they wanted to hear without any sense of personal ego. He was cynical and ultimately uncaring about what he meant to others. He was credited with the destruction of Detroit, but if what happened in Las Vegas was any indication, he merely caused some destruction and fed the masses desire for revolution, which took care of the rest.

In the series, Oktane travels through the desert with the ex-mayor of Detroit who is on the run for his life from the shattered remains of the US Government. To get the ex-mayor where he’s going, Oktane has to head through Las Vegas and needs to square off against a CIA agent who is trying to regain control of the general populace by shooting gang members (who are now controlling federal interest rates) and sending out viral videos by re-inventing the image of Uncle Sam. In the CIA’s pocket are the elderly remnants of the mafia, an army of inbred rednecks known as the Tight White Posse, and a gigantic shape-shifting mass of protoplasmic Air Force Generals known collectively as God Zero. Also, there is an encampment of Native Americans (led by a charming woman who smokes the peace pipe during meetings only because she needed the Tobacco Lobby) who are looking to capture the ex-mayor and and fulfill their own plans regarding Las Vegas. For four issues, this is one hell of a good read.

Plus, you just gotta love a guy with an 8-track player implanted in his head.

monkeyg0d said on June 10th, 2008 at 1:08 pm

Conan isnt a comic book character.

Lord Zhilbar said on December 18th, 2008 at 3:11 pm

Mmm, most of those I can’t dispute for the life of me.

I CAN, however, dispute the lack of Galactus, Fin Fang Foom, and Beta Ray Bill! Oh, and I most definitely believe that Doom should be in the top 20, at the very least. Still, overall looks like a DAMNED solid list!

@ bentarc: dont you mess with tommy monhaghan or i’ll unleash BAYTOR on you

and hey no guy gardner warrior?that series was the devlpt summum of guy he had powers of his own so he can flip off the smurfs, he’s friend with kyle & john and the supporting cast was brilliant! & no Gambit? go read Nicieza’s run dude and you ‘ll see why remy can really work on his own

Clittorous said on January 18th, 2013 at 3:43 pm

Please tell me you guys are just trolling with this piece of crap list…..

MGKisasupermanfanboy said on June 13th, 2014 at 11:42 am

Uh, are u stupid or something Wolverine does deserve to be number one your just another stupid superman fanboy. YOUR LIST SUCKS