The Final Wraith hit the nail on the head; calling him “Red Arrow” makes him sound like you hit Start, Select and Up at the same time while picking Green Arrow at the Character Select screen. 🙂

Evil Abraham Lincoln said on March 22nd, 2010 at 7:29 pm

I don’t like it when people badmouth the name “Arsenal”. They’re the best footy team on the planet. I’ll decline to elaborate on my benefit’s of Stig’s earlier observations…

How about American Arrow?

Then he can change his uniform to red, white and blue, and be a kind of DC Captain America with a bow?

solid snake said on March 22nd, 2010 at 9:13 pm

Red Needle?
Duchess?

Jason Barnett said on March 22nd, 2010 at 9:47 pm

For those wondering about an in story reason, he never chose the name Red Arrow. Hal started to call him Roy in public, caught himself and then called him Red Arrow to cover himself. THey just ran with it.

I fail to see how Green Arrow is a less stupid name than Red Arrow, personlly.

Bryan Levy said on March 22nd, 2010 at 11:13 pm

I’m calling him Arm Fall Off Boy. ZING!

Lamashtar said on March 22nd, 2010 at 11:18 pm

Red Arrow is fine. It only doesn’t make sense when he uses a gun. And there’s nothing wrong with Roy being a sidekick. He will always be a sidekick, no matter how far he moves or what names he uses.

But if he does change…’Arrowsmith’ is taken, but it always seemed like it ought to be an Arrowfamily name. He could go dark and be ‘Blood Arrow.’ I still like Arsenal fine–my City of Heroes clone is named ‘Artillery.’ I guarantee that another 15 years of it, and everyone’d think ‘Red Arrow’ is as fine as ‘Green Lantern’, for heaven’s sake.

Red and green are chromatic opposites. When you combine them, you get brown. A big, steaming pile of brown.

Personally, I thought Roy’s adopted the palette-shifted version of Ollie’s Bronze Age costume (followed by the “Red Arrow” moniker) because, after years of friction and resentment, the two of them had finally reconciled.

Sofa King said on March 25th, 2010 at 12:48 am

And to my personal amusement, what color does the evil archer in the recent JLA animated movie wear? Red.

hEH GaWD, DeMMm NErRDs~

With that out of the way:

It’s a dumb change for xactly the reason you say in your post.

But I mean, you’ve got a guy called Green Arrow, his sidekick used to dress in red, and he’s a grown-up now, so he’s Red Arrow.

It’s the laziest, most by-the-numbers thinking that anyone could have done, used to replace an ID that at least attempted to be creative.

Red Arrow works best BECAUSE Roy’s just a knockoff of Ollie. He’s not his own man, any more than Nightwing is. He’s a sidekick, just a grown-up one. Once a sidekick, always a sidekick, that’s your role.

As the above beautifully illustrates, it’s the sort of thing you come up with when you’re working from contempt, ignorance, and a total lack of imagination, and it shows.

Oh, and also because the comics where Brad Meltzer came up with this were altogether plodding, joyless, hackwork shit.

So, QED really.

I liked Red Arrow as a name. It showed the character growing up and into the legacy that he has always worked within.

I deplore a return to Arsenal. If he’s going back to the 90’s with the Arsenal name, the artist needs to put big shoulder pads on him and give him a couple of guns bigger than his forearms.

DistantFred said on March 25th, 2010 at 12:22 pm

Puff: ForeARM. Singular. The other one got ripped off and will almost certainly be replaced with a gun.

Dan Coyle said on March 25th, 2010 at 12:53 pm

I have no problem with it; in fact I quite like it.

I think it has to do with the fact that it came from the mind of the one person who is the absolute worst thing ever to happen to the DC Universe, and who should never, ever be allowed to write a single comic for them ever again.