Related Articles

How was this survey conducted? I assumed that it was an internet survey, and thus anonymous, which is very scary because that would indicate fairly accurate answers. A lot of boys (and girls) would lie on a survey like this if they were talking to an adult or someone from a church group.
I assume there is a self-selection bias. Was this survey conducted on extremely hard-core religious websites? That would skew the sample quite a bit. The broader, more popular types of websites (even if still religious in nature) might give different results. Or maybe not.

I couldn’t help feeling the same way. This survey is either incredibly illuminating – highlighting a faction of Americans who have been completely submerged in Evangelical dogma – or a very deliberate piece of propaganda aimed at both boys and girls to peer pressure them into submitting to Evangelical dogma.

Personally, I’m predisposed to the latter. We saw this kind of propaganda in the run up to the Iraq War, we saw it in the 2000 election recount where the coverage would make you completely forget exactly who won the popular vote, we’ve seen it in the abortion debate, we’ve seen it in the Shirley Sherrod / NAACP scandal.

You doctor up and cherry pick information, splice it together as a form of propaganda, and widely distribute a very opaque and biased piece of information as scientific consensus.

I, for one, have some seriously deep suspicions about the honesty and accuracy of this survey. When comparing it to real life experience, growing up in a moderately conservative upper middle class lily white Texas suburb, it’s the same sort of leaflet I recall seeing that claimed having sex after the prom would give me Chlamydia and that condoms had a 50% failure rate. I call bullshit.

wsmcneil said on August 3rd, 2010 at 1:49 pm

Rawrasaur wrote:

No, and no.

The underlying theme from the results of this survey is not merely that these boys/men are uncomfortable with the squishy feelings spotting a bit of curvy female skin gives them. The implication is that it’s the girl’s fault. To insist that it the girl’s responsibility to change her behaviour when the boy’s religious culture leaves him psychologically incapable of coping with his own sexual urges is indeed logically indefensible, and ridiculous.

And yes, those who publicly express ridiculous opinions should expect to be publicly ridiculed.

Rawrasaur said on August 3rd, 2010 at 3:10 pm

I agree that insisting that women change their behavior is ridiculous. Where in the survey are they insisting that it is the women’s responsibility to change their behavior?

…really?

Sisters in Christ, you really have no concept of the struggles that guys face on a daily basis. Please, please, please take a higher standard in the ways you dress.

and

A girl has been given something for which she is responsible. That gift is a beautiful body and mystique which has power over a man, and so in being responsible with that gift, a girl must give thought to men.

And of course the entire survey is the men talking about women’s attire and behavior, thereby putting the responsibility (and blame) on them.

Honestly, did you even read this post?

Rawrasaur said on August 3rd, 2010 at 5:20 pm

Fantomex said on August 3rd, 2010 at 6:41 pm

“I always thought of insisting as “You must do this” and not “Please do this.” It seemed like a request to me.”

A request? In what society do you see the religious make “requests” that everyone follow their rules? Where those requests are free to be turned downed without any form of negative consequence. Every post that you’ve made has been either a defense of these morons or a demand that people not criticize them.

Why? Just, why? I’m genuinely curious.

ladypeyton said on August 3rd, 2010 at 10:32 pm

[[wsmcneil wrote:

..Rawrasaur wrote:
“I don’t feel comfortable hanging out with people who like certain types of music. Is that logically indefensible? Do I deserve to be mocked and ridiculed for that?”..

No, and no.

However, if you then suggest that your discomfort is anything other than your own problem, or that your discomfort gives you the right to insist that those people should alter their behaviour and stop listening to that music, then yes, and yes. ]]

Not only that but the whole thing implies that there is something deficient in the women who do *not* meet their standards. That those women would somehow deserve not being respected which of course leads to victim blaming if something does actually happen to someone who does not fit their closed minded description of respectability.

One word: Butters.

Candlejack said on August 4th, 2010 at 11:47 am

No, you’re right, Rawrasaur, they aren’t insisting women change their behavior. They’re just giving notice that, should women continue to show skin, reach for things over their heads, or run without having their boobs strapped down, they will view those women as terrible harlots unworthy of the slightest respect.

Similarly, we’re not insisting they change their views, we’re just giving notice that we think they’re pathetic misogynists unworthy of the slightest respect.

If you’ve got no problem with them pointing down their arms and screaming “Whores!”, I don’t see why you’ve got a problem with us laughing down our sleeves.

@Candlejack: “[…] I don’t see why you’ve got a problem with us laughing down our sleeves.”

As a certified harlot, I’m not EVEN WEARING SLEEVES.

“This sounds stupid, but I’ll be honest: The strings invite a tug.”

Jesus invited a tugs all the time. Then they burned him.

This reminds me of my mother in law telling me [a long story I won’t repeat] that basically ends in how we keep making women responsible for men’s behavior, and this is just another example. My sister is in a cult that does this crap. No swimsuits, only long skirts, pants are evil, five kids they can’t afford for Jesus. She wasn’t allowed to be alone with her now husband for any amount of time while they were dating.

65 percent have a problem with girls who have to adjust a bra strap in public.

If that’s a problem, maybe locking yourself in a mental ward and staying there would be good? This isn’t even something a girl has control over half the time – bras are uncomfortable a lot and they shift. This is creepy.

Badficwriter said on August 6th, 2010 at 1:30 am

Women in short shorts bending over pointing their asses at you ARE causing sinful thoughts! Just today, I explored my vestigial lesbianism by letting myself be tempted to look. It was indeed enjoyably sinful.

Rawr: are you playing the devil’s advocate, or just trolling? Figured I’d ask.

I refuse to consider the possibility that you’re posting seriously, though.

Jeans more immodest than any skirt? Well I suppose so, at least judging by the fact that I’m a guy and I almost always think any given woman looks better in jeans. Even very short skirts somewhat conceal a woman’s shape, while most jeans accentuate it.

As for modesty, I say schmodesty! Guys too. I think most of us are overbearingly modest in our own clothing choices.

None of you business said on April 17th, 2012 at 10:33 am

How dumb!!! So basically we need to be covered up like Muslams (no offense to Muslams!). And we can’t go swimming, because boys can’t handle seeing girls in swimming suits! Plus this article is so sexist!! “See, men are big and strong, and we shouldn’t hit people. And women aren’t big and strong, but they are pretty, so they shouldn’t hit people metaphorically with their choice of clothing.” STUIP!!!! I’d like to have a nice “chat” with who ever made this!!

im 14, catholic, i go to church everyday and i believe in god… and these fags have no life!!! i couldnt live without girls! seriously, fuck those homos haha

(im a guy) yeaa these douches are trying to blame girls for their horniness and blue balls lol “dont wear hot stuff so we dont get tempted” if you want to ruin your life buy not having any fun dont blame everyone else for why youre a deppressed fuck lol

Emma120182 said on January 24th, 2013 at 11:28 pm

Omg even I am a christian girl and even I think this is a bit extreme! I mean come on I feel sinful if her butt is towards me?! Is a man that incapable of controlling him self I mean geeze if I see a hot guy I don’t get all nervous when he walks past they r lame

I was one of the guys involved in setting this thing up back in the day. That long comment — “Sisters in Christ” blah blah blah — was me.

Looking back, I can’t believe how stupid I was. We were all raised to believe that modesty was the female responsibility to prevent men from “stumbling”, so it seemed perfectly natural to host a massive survey inviting sexually frustrated homeschool teens and disturbingly prurient old men (hint: responses go a lot higher than 35) to provide “loving direction” to women of all ages on exactly what turns us on. Because, after all, it’s the girl’s job not to turn the guy on.

So utterly stupid and harmful.

Kimberly Russo said on July 2nd, 2013 at 5:22 pm

Your criticism against how Christians dress makes me wonder how you must dress. I don’t believe you are a Christian or you might actually understand what those men were talking about. Listen, I used to wear pants and dress wickedly, but then I got saved and I want to please God with how I dress now. Every time I see someone scantily clad it makes me sad. Why do girls need to dress so provocatively? What are they trying to prove to everyone? That they have no self respect?? Because that’s sure what it looks like. And I honestly believe that if you want to dress confidently then you’ll cover up so you don’t have to worry if your behind or your chest is hanging out.

Mohammed Ali said on July 24th, 2013 at 5:45 pm

The Bible never said to judge men like, implying that they are “tempted” to “attack”? What? These foemeanist girls are pathetic. So is using profanity like saying damn. The Bible never said to jail men for compliments. They have misquoted the book of Proverbs to try to justify that and socalled “correctness”.

Dont worry we might feel the same way about you, you might not deserve the slightest respect for insulting us by having the audacity to call our compliments, “harassment”. Everybody on here is going to give account on judgement day for what they typed, including having the nerve to call us “pathetic” “misogynists”. Death of femininity is what happened ladies ceased to dress like ladies and dress like two-bit flusies. Womens baser urge is to pass judgement on men,their compliments,whistles,etc. disturbly prurient old women. Disturbingly judgemental women here. They should have focused more on keeping the sabbath holy and pleasing God and Jesus than focusing on being selfish and getting men to admire the cleavage of their bosoms on Sunday which is not the day to profane by doing this and wearing pants at church is unladylike too.