Marionette said on June 9th, 2011 at 5:02 am

I think you’re being wildly optimistic about how long most of these titles will last.

Apart from anything else, you have to assume that the next cosmic reboot is going to happen in less than five years, so that gives you a maximum of 60 issues.

Zenrage said on June 9th, 2011 at 5:08 am

I’m shocked they didn’t give Lobo a reboot.

Throw it all overboard and keep Tiny Titans. It is probably the best book DC does. Seriously, if you’re going to bring Wildstorm into the DCnU,(I somehow missed the huge groundswell for a Voodoo ongoing) bring back Planetary.

For what it’s worth, I understood that the paper on Superboy’s back was a gag cape placed by Kid Flash.

The Unstoppable Gravy Express said on June 9th, 2011 at 9:20 am

…But what does this mean for Superman’s Walk Across America? Are you trying to say that will have NEVER HAPPENED?!?!??

NNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

fsherman said on June 9th, 2011 at 9:38 am

Looking back, I think my favorite reboot was the post-Crisis Captain Atom. It gave him a genuinely novel, interesting situation(convicted traitor/government agent poses as super-hero to carry out government missions and infiltrate the super-hero community) that wasn’t something I’d seen before.
I don’t see any sign anything we’re looking at here will be that good.

Thing about Batgirl is, since we’re reinventing things, how about giving Barbara a sister? That way Babs could stay Oracle, but another hot redhead Gordon girl could be Batgirl. Problem solved.

Green Lantern said on June 9th, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Oh ye Mighty God King,

I agree with pretty much EVERYTHING you said, though I think you’re being a might generous with the longevity of some of these titles.

20 issues for “Frankenstein”? Yeah, I’m thinking less than a dozen. But I could be wrong…

Biggie Shorty said on June 9th, 2011 at 5:36 pm

No Rebooty Tang?

I posted the following idea on Topless Robot, and I want to test it here: what if there’s no reboot? My reasoning: 52 established Earths, 52 titles, and a lot of the covers don’t mesh well with each other. We could have a one-month or miniseries event, with a return to the status quo.

MGK . . . what are your takes of the latest titles? I have no idea hopw a book can work with J’onn and Apollo & Midnighter. Even if every fifth issue ends with J’onn walking into the boudoir going, “Room for one more?,” it still might not work out.

I would give a friggin’ kidney to see Brubaker writing Catwoman again. And Darwin Cooke doing the art. A kidney. I’d be willing to go up to an entire leg, if required. I liked Borderline-Good-Guy-Goggles!Selina, which seems to indicate that I am in the minority.

…and another thing!

I thought Batman, Inc, made sense as an idea. In practice, eeeeeehhh, maybe not so much, because Morrision ought to lay off the bad drugs, but the idea itself was a logical progression for the character. And who wouldn’t want to see what the Batman of, say, Cuba, looked like? Or Madagascar? Amsterdam?

Well, I thought it was cool, anyway.

(Also, extreme sleep deprivation seems to feel rather like drinking a beer with a really high alcoholic content. Funny the things you learn.)

[…] emailing and asking me what I think about the editorial/story implications of the DC reboot (beyond obvious snark, anyway), and I’ve been resisting the urge to talk about that because the books aren’t […]

Halloween Jack said on June 18th, 2011 at 6:07 pm

I guess you’ve probably read some reviews of Duke Nukem Forever and heard how heinous it is (or, given the era it dates from, maybe I should say, “not not, not not, most heinous!); the very first official achievement in the game is given when you pick up a turd out of a toilet bowl (that Duke has just urinated in) and throw it at something or someone. The only conceivable reason I’d want DNF is to do a nifty little machinima to DC WRT the reboot where Duke performs that action, then holds the turd out to the camera and says, “See this? I’m not giving it.”

The last straw was the Stormwatch cover, where, apparently to stave off the possibility of some thumbsucker mistaking the Midnighter for Batsy, they have him wearing a shiny-metal outfit with not only a chinstrap, but a little spike on the chinstrap–I guess that if he’s grappling with someone, he can scratch them with his chin.

Chinspike.

Fucking chinspike. Almost makes one nostalgic for utility garters/thigh pouches, eh?

So far, most of these speculations have actually been optimistic. Ten issues of the bloated mess have been cancelled or had their cancellation announced so far; some didn’t even see double digits.