I’m trying to choose shows that haven’t been mentioned, so people can track them down.

Sitcom (three-camera) – The Golden Girls
Sitcom (single-camera) – The Micallef Programme (Australian)
Sitcom (British) – Miranda
Drama – Changi (Australian mini series set in a POW camp in WWII)
Drama (British) – Apparitions (basically The Exorcist the series)
Dramedy – Not an hour long but Daria. (For an hour long, the D’Onofrio episodes of Law and Order: Criminal Intent)
Animated – Boondocks
“Genre” – Alias
Wildcard – Newstopia (Aussie news parody. Sublime.)

“and no Doctor Who”

=(

I don’t want to live on this planet anymore.

@CB: He’s not forbidding Doctor Who, he’s stipulating it. Doctor Who goes without saying, so don’t waste a slot saying it.

drmedula said on July 8th, 2011 at 11:28 am

For cartoon, I’d submit HARVEY BIRDMAN, ATTORNEY AT LAW- once it got rolling, it was as funny as anything I’ve ever seen. (Steven Colbert- castmember AND fan- said that every other show aspired to “laughs per minute”, but HB-AAL aspired to “laughs per SECOND”. He weren’t wrong).

Mary Warner said on July 8th, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Pushing Daisies really needs to be on the list somewhere.

@Mark “My wildcard nomination is the short-lived Fox Network show Profit.”

Holy crap. Profit is my all time favourite show. Nobody ever talks about it, and I definitely wasn’t expecting to see it mentioned here. Some aspects haven’t aged well (particularly the CG sequences), but overall I think the series was ahead of its time. Jim Profit remains my favourite bastard, and I see shades of him everywhere on TV now, from Don Draper to Jack Donaghy.

drmedula said on July 8th, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Howard Chaykin says the best thing he ever wrote in his life was the script for an unfilmed episode of PROFIT.(And he openly holds most of his tv work in contempt.)

@Davinder: Nice to see someone else likes Jim Profit, the first literal MF’er character on prime time TV that I know of.

I like to compare the show to the movie Being There. Both have main characters who were raised by watching TV all the time. The difference is that Chancy Gardner is a product of the vast wasteland of 1960s TV and so is an empty husk that anyone can project their desires onto and be satisfied. By contrast Jim Profit is a product of the violent amoral TV of the 1980s and so is a psychopath.

@Mark: When Profit aired I remember loving the novelty of the show’s protagonist also being the main villain. And unlike later series, like Deadwood or Dexter, say, where villainous leads are made more palatable by introducing characters who are even more unsavoury, Jim Profit was always the most evil character in each episode. The show’s creators somehow even made you root against a character like Jack who was virtuous almost to a fault.

@drmedula: I just went looking for information on that Chaykin script and learned that David Greenwalt, who was a producer on both Profit and Angel, tried to arrange for Adrian Pasdar to appear on Angel, possibly as one of the Wolfram and Hart senior partners, at which point my head exploded from all the awesome.

vonDread said on July 9th, 2011 at 11:40 am

Okay, guess I have to post my own picks. But I’m going to limit it to shows that haven’t been mentioned yet (more than once).

Sitcom (three-camera): Hands down, Seinfeld. The single greatest sitcom to ever air, IMO. But since it’s such a pervasive cultural phenomenon, it’s an obvious choice. Night Court would be my second pick.
Sitcom (single-camera): Community is well-covered, so I’ll say Andy Richter Controls the Universe. Honorable mention to Action, with Jay Mohr.
Sitcom (British): Spaced. Can’t believe no one mentioned this yet.
Drama: Rome, as all of HBO’s other awesome shows have been mentioned several times. But I gotta mention Sons of Anarchy too. It’s Hamlet with an outlaw biker gang.
Drama (British): Life on Mars.
Dramedy: Sports Night.
Animated: Can’t decide between Batman: The Brave and the Bold, and Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes. The first features the best characterization of Aquaman EVER and the second is Marvel’s version of JL/JLU. It’s that freaking good. If you can excuse the crappy theme song, anyway.
“Genre”: I’ll second the vote for Misfits. Best live-action superhero TV show ever.
Wildcard: Two anime shows, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex; and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Western animated shows very rarely match the sheer epicness, engrossing storylines, and complex character development of their Japanese counterparts. I’m not an anime freak by any stretch of the imagination, but these two shows blow away anything, no matter the language of its intended audience.

“Genre” can mean not only sci-fi/fantasy, but can encompass western/crime/romance/horror, and probably a couple of others.

Darth Paradox said on July 11th, 2011 at 5:48 pm

So, maybe I’m not up on my TV theory, but what is the stylistic difference between three-camera and one-camera shows? I understand the technical differences – one-camera means you’re shooting new takes for each shot, which gives you a chance to tailor the lighting and such – but I don’t see how that difference is worth bucketing TV shows by. It feels like sorting TV shows over whether their special effects are CG-based or created in reality – a distinction without a difference to the average viewer.

goblinpaladin said on July 12th, 2011 at 5:46 am

Couple of days late, MGK, but I have an answer to your Nana Visitor idle question. Few days ago I caught a glimpse of some probably appalling daytime television, down here in Australia- some farm show. It starred Nana Visitor.

The only thing I could think was ‘how the mighty have fallen’.

[that said, a quick glance at Wikipedia shows that this show itself ended in 2008; so I suppose her career is now a mystery]

You are a whole mess of smart people. A lot of blasts from the past–Profit, John Laroquette Show, and all of them really excellent suggestions.

How about (Ed Asner’s) Bronx Zoo? I recall it as being fantastic.

Candlejack said on July 12th, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Nana Visitor played the mother of Jason Vorhees in the new Friday the 13th that came out a couple years ago. And I don’t watch Family Guy, but I heard she did some voices for them for a while. Other than that… [checks IMDb] …well, not much.

I find the complete lack of Battlestar Galactica selections interesting.

Very pleased with the lack of Sopranos though. Possibly the most overrated show ever.