The Crazed Spruce said on August 21st, 2011 at 2:07 am

@TrivTriv: No, it’s definitely not My Secret Identity. I loved that show, and the movie I was talking about predated it by at least a decade.

@Steven: Yeah, that’s definitely the cartoon I was thinking about. Thanks!

@John The Muppet Wiki has Lucy Simon doing Wynken, Blynken and Nod on Sesame Street.

My hallucination that I’ve never been able to google comes from my sixth grade math class. We were watching a murder mystery movie vaguely like Clue, with six guests invited to a mansion, and they all kept disappearing throughout the night. Eventually two of them (or maybe two more guests?) realize that everything’s been based on math, and that the guests were criminals who’d proved mathematically that they were innocent.

Turns out the butler (of course it was the butler) hated math, so he locked everyone up in the dungeon… and I have no idea what happens after that because the bell rang and googling “mystery butler math” simply does not work. It’s been bothering me ever since.

@Travesty
Could you be thinking of Millenium – Return to Earth? I remember that one, it was FANTASTIC fun. Like early versions of SimCity just in space.

Powerleveler said on August 21st, 2011 at 2:13 pm

@Ducky: That butler thing was an episode of mathnet on squareone. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0643420/

I miss that numbermuncher guy. He only won once ever that I remember. Poor guy. He tried so hard.

Ducky: I saw that, but in this instance I distrust the Muppet Wiki. I have a vinyl compilation disc — part of a set — with the Simon Sisters’ original recording of the song, and also an album on which the Irish Rovers perform the verse using the Simon music…and I think at least one of those may predate any possible Sesame connection. Also, I can find no footage anywhere of either Simon sister performing the song in company with Muppets, whether for Sesame Street or the Muppet Show. Which seems odd, considering that the (woefully inferior, IMO) Ste. Marie iteration is findable in several places on the Web.

@duquesne_pdx

Thanks a lot, man, you got it. Much more recent than I remembered, but hey: it has Elliot Gould in it. That’s pretty cool.

@Allegretto:
Just so you know you aren’t alone, I remember that too, but I have no idea what it was either.
…so…yeah…I suppose that wasn’t very helpful…

TrivTriv: I remember that one myself, though I’d had it in my head that the three guys were classic hobos who just couldn’t give up that lifestyle even after they’d gotten the millions of dollars from a fourth guy, a hobo friend of theirs from way back who’d made good somehow before he died. My only definite lasting memory is at the end, with the three of them sitting around a campfire in the back yard eating mulligan stew and talking about what had happened to them; I assume that if the series had been picked up from that pilot, the “Mulligan stew around the campfire” scenes would have been to that show what the Denny-and-Alan scenes on the balcony were to “Boston Legal.”

Black Rabbit said on August 21st, 2011 at 8:21 pm

Sean: could you be thinking of “The Running Man”? 1986, was part of the anime compilation film “Neo-Tokyo”, and was shown on MTV’s Liquid Television (how I miss you, Liquid Television!).

Ted: that comic sounds very much like something that would’ve been in either Heavy Metal or Epic Magazine. Remember anything about the art style?

MGK, I think Brandi’s got it, ’cause it was Star Trek, with cats! Like a Captain Cat, Spock cat, the whole nine yards!

This was pretty much how it was between me and Rock & Rule. For many years I wondered if it had been a real thing that I’d seen on TV, this beautifully animated Heavy Metal-ish sci-fi opera cartoon, or just a fantastical dream. I didn’t even remember its name. Then somebody mentioned that I had a “Rock & Rule” art style. I looked it up, and lo and behold.

Black Rabbit: Heavy Metal or Epic would be about the right time period–this would’ve been maybe 1990 or so when I saw the comic, though who knows how long it’d been sitting around before then–but I want to say it was manga. Pretty sure it was black-and-white, fairly realistic and detailed. There’s a manga artist named Yukinobu Hoshino who produces space-themed manga in a realistic style, but I’ve checked everything of his I could get my hands on (though that’s not everything he’s ever produced), and no walking-through-dust-on-a-starship-hull scene to be found.

@Powerleveler That’s it!!!! I’ve never even heard of Mathnet, and I certainly wasn’t looking for an episode of something. I wonder if I can eBay it…?

Rock & Rule was actually the “secret ingredient” in the Anime Music Video Iron Chef contest last year, if anyone’s interested in some trippy videos.

CB: I’ve seen that one get mentioned before whenever I’ve looked for this, but no. A lot of the gameplay was a kind of Wing Commander-esque space combat simulator (you could see the timestream as it stood at any given moment, and a lot of what you did was traveling to points of history either to convince people to do things that would avert disasters or fight off the aliens who had ‘historically’ wiped everyone out anyway). There was this undertone that got mentioned in places that the aliens who had given you this task were throwing every possible solution at this, which meant that you even got to encounter evil alternate universe versions of yourself where you had instead been hired to ensure the destruction of all sentient life in this galaxy.

Like I said, good times.

CB-Your referring to that 90’s PBS show called Ghostwriter. It was set in Brooklyn and featured a cast of racially diverse pre teen detectives who worked in conjunction with a “ghost” (the ghostwriter of the title) that only they could see and who would give them clues on the case.

The specific episode(s) your referring to is Attack of the Slime Monster which was the last episode of the series.

When I was a kid in the late 70’s or very early 80’s there was a show with a marionette skeleton in front of a black background who had a reverby voice. There was another show with a ventriloquist dummy doing the news. Yet another one where kids were always trying to outsmart a green floating head guy. All of these were on PBS or other broadcast channels, all late 70’s to 1982 at most, no cable.

VoodooBen, the animation you’re thinking of is Hunger, an NFB short that was one of the first to implement computer animation. What’s remarkable is that it doesn’t look like CGI, but would be closer to Flash today.

Oh, and Matthew E, the Baseball cartoon you’re thinking of is the Nelvana short, Take me Up to the Ball Game. It was one of my favorites while growing up, because it had references to Newspaper comics, from the Cow mascot, the Bill-the-Cat expy, and a Churchy la Femme turtle. Not to mention the rival team all had smiles like the Joker and cheated like mad. Also, the competing leaders of the main baseball team were a beaver and bald eagle.

Rats – I now see that Steven’s already answered your questions. Well, I’m not letting my descriptions go to waste.

As for other animated shows I vaguely remember, there’s an animated/live action show that I have trouble finding any context for. It involved kids wandering a fantasy land reminiscent of the Snow Queen. One sequence had a scary creature in the shadows with glowing eyes and thunder and lightning. Then in the next scene, the creature walked out… revealing itself as a cute little pink/purple elephant. I don’t quite remember the context of the rest of the movie/show, but there was a scene I still remember today. The Snow Queen had some kind of mechanism tied to a magical safe that would rise and fall as per her command, like some kind of snowflake cage. Somehow, the kids managed to knock her controller in the “down” button, and tossed it into the snow cage. The Snow Queen dived after the controller under the gate of the snow cage where it hovered above her arm (like the safety restrictions for an elevator) with the controller was just slightly out of her reach while she cried in frustration. I never felt so bad for a villain than at that moment.

The other one I recall is a Christmas special involving live-action dolls, a kind of Velveteen Rabbit kind of thing. Only, this rabbit wanted to be regifted as a present to the child, so it would be loved all over again. There were constant flashback fantasies of the girl opening her present and happily spinning and hugging her little doll. But in one flashback, it zoomed in on the face of one of the forgotten toys who’d been arguing against this plan, and it was shown it’d been crying.

An a comic book front, there was a graphic novel that I saw in a bookstore in 1995 where there was a sorceror who wanted to infiltrate utopia, which was guarded by a female deity. For everything that was thrown at the sorceror, he easily brushed them aside, and was making short work of their defenses. But just as he was going to step through the gates of paradise, she made a last-ditch effort – she relocated utopia somewhere else that not even she knew was, so he’d never find it. From that moment on, everybody on Earth suddenly felt miserable, even though they had no idea why. Despite this somber description, it’s actually quite funny, and there’s the creation of a log cabin in there somehow.

I can’t believe no one’s done this;
@ Kyle W. Your first one is “Flight of Dragons”, amazing Rankin/Bass cartoon. That scene is near the end of the film. The second one is lost to me.

Oh, and maybe someone can help me with these videos my cousin had that I watched once in a while.
One was a bear who found a mountain full of monsters that were going to attack the bear village on Hallowen, but he gets everyone to trip up the monsters and retreat to the mountain.
Two is some kids befriend a witch or wizard who convinces a nearby Halloween-hating town that Halloween is OK and they all turn into monsters.

Thanks Sigma! The game play does actually look pretty weaksauce. Nightmare fuel averted.

Chalkwhite said on August 22nd, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Mine is a computer game that I think that I played when I was around 7 or 8. It was a platformer where you played as a bunny, and carrots were prominently involved- beyond that, I’ve got nothing. I remember it being a lot of fun, though.

@DeBT Your rabbit is actually Rugby Tiger from The Christmas Toy. It was my favorite Christmas special growing up (hell, it still is).

Okay, here goes:

I’m from England, and I have a distinct memory of a strange show, seen when unwell and home from school in the mid-nineties.

Back in the day, there used to be educational programming in the middle of the day, usually literacy/numeracy shows with narrative frameworks like trying to escape a castle. The general idea was of these shows being shown in classrooms in primary schools (that’s ages 5-11 for you foreigners). When ill and at home from school, these shows were the only ones my parents would let me watch.

ANYWAY:

I recall catching a few minutes of once scene of a program that seemed a lot darker than the usual programming and more narrative driven than educational. I think it was about the aftermath of some kind of invasion of Earth.
I remember a bearded, strongly-built man in elaborate insectoid golden armor reminiscent of a beetle, especially on his back, where some kind of rigid cloak thing evoked a beetle’s wing-cases. He stood on a low, wide staircase, and argued with an elegant woman in a strange formal gown.
I also remember the special effects being similar in, well, crapness to the other shows of that time, and being the kind of level of sfx that were usually found in those midday educational shows.

That’s all I remember, I think I changed the channel. This would probably have been between ’95 and ’97, at a guess, and I think it was in ITV or Channel 4.

It’s possible I dreamed it, but I’m pretty sure I was just skiving off school and therefore was entirely lucid and alert at the time.

There’s not really enough to go on there, but maybe I’ll get lucky and someone will recall something.

@Mark Temporis If you haven’t Googled this by now,The Gary Seven show is real. It was a failed pilot for a Trek spinoff showing the time traveling (AND CORRECTING) adventures of Gary Seven, his secretary Roberta Lincoln,and his sometimes cat (and sometimes not) Isis.

@Travesty,
Ok, now I want to know what it was because that sounds fantastic. Like Dr. Who the game.

I saw this film at school in the mid-80’s, though it was probably made much earlier..it was about a kid that got separated from his tricycle, which magically comes to life and begins to search for him. I really only remember the end…when the trike launches over a police roadblock.

I’ve hunted for this thing, but can’t find a reference anywhere on the net. It was run on a film projector, and I doubt there are any copies left…unless it was all a dream. No. No, it was REAL.

d’wetts, you weren’t imagining things. This actually existed. I knew, because I saw a living tricycle story twice. The first time I saw it was at camp along with two other NFB shorts such as Hot Stuff and Cosmic Zoom. (Very eye-opening stuff for a young kid) The name of the story was The Remarkable Riderless Runaway Tricycle, and there’s even a Youtube video included.

Oh, and thanks to Ducky for naming the Xmas special. I’d completely forgotten it was muppet related.

DeBT: Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you. You have made a stranger very happy tonight. One of the last big question marks of my childhood eliminated! Nostalgia buzz!!

Cap'n Neurotic said on March 24th, 2012 at 1:15 pm

@Mark Temporis Based on your tip, I scoured episode guides of both shows, and one episode title of Kikaida jumped out at me: “Crimson Squid: Stalker of Pretty Coeds.” After many months of waiting for the disc to be available via Netflix, it arrived yesterday, and I can confirm that it was indeed the show that has haunted my memories for 30 years. Can’t thank you enough.

txukytruky said on April 6th, 2012 at 4:21 am

@ Graham, THANK YOU for your post! I have been looking for that song for many years…I watched on german VIVA channel, I love that song too.
Si , you are THE BEST!

I know this thread has been dead for a while, but I’m desperate.
My grandma had an animated vhs of little ‘life lessons’. They’re were a few different stories on this movie. The one I remember was about a white cat. He was traveling through the woods and wouldn’t listen to any of the other characters that gave him warnings and advice. I’m pretty sure he ended up dead. I think He was eaten by a black dragon or something. Help!!!