So the male equivalent to women being raped is… women being murdered.

How terrible for the men.

This causes type 3 manpain. (If you haven’t seen the associated vid, go ahead and download it and watch it… trigger (and spoiler!) warning for rape and character death.)

I wonder what happens to all these bold, edgy authors when they run out of atrocities.

They could always turn to the “fate worse than death” of the betesticled crowd…. (Speaking of fucking awesome plot elements, eh?)

kingderella said on June 14th, 2012 at 4:53 pm

having rape fantasies doesnt make you a bad person. we dont have much control over these things. and i believe there are ways and places to express such aspects safely.

being a huge fucking ignorant arrogant inconsiderate asshole about it *does* make you a bad person.

highlyverbal said on June 14th, 2012 at 5:21 pm

@DistantFred: Was the rebellion legal?? Because I don’t think it was. So all those deaths on behalf of illegal activity: murders. In fact, even the stormtroopers were murdered by these rebel scum, right? (Not just TIE fighter repairpersons.) So you are more extreme than Kevin Smith on this one. Please, just think about that for one deep breath.

=======

Of course, that is leaving aside the quite salient question of what legal regimes are ensuring the safety of the Mos Eisley Spaceport cantina ASIDE from whatever is in your holster.

Having tried to read some of his “Kickass pulp fiction” I am prepared to testify that 50 hits is about what it deserves in terms of traffic. He’s not the worst writer I’ve seen, but he’s far closer to the bottom than the top.

@JoshR: Why do you think he needs to rely on things like shitty sex-magic d20 sourcebooks and articles entitled things like “In Defense of Rape?” to get attention? If it weren’t for bad publicity he’d have no publicity at all.

The Unstoppable Gravy Express said on June 15th, 2012 at 8:51 am

The way this comment thread bounces between serious discussion of rape and trauma and the morality/legality of Han shooting Greedo is FUCKING AWESOME!

Speaking of not taking into account potential audience reactions (and going back to JoshR’s post), Desborough’s response has been all but irredeemable. He’s outright stating that people just saw rape and got angry–I believe his phrase is that it should be “judged on quality rather than content,” with the implication that the only reason to be annoyed with him is a failure
to truly understand his brilliance.

This is doubly strange in light of the fact that Desborough seems to be having two arguments: the first being the obvious that rape can be used as narrative context, and the second being that rape is–as he puts it–a “fucking awesome” plot device. Nobody is arguing that rape should be taken out of fiction; the problem is that, as his frat boy-esque tone and inability to sympathize (people are objecting “because… well, who knows, really?”) demonstrate, rape is used largely as a source of generic–and as seen in the quotes from his RPG writing, distressingly eroticized–trauma.

Yet instead of even trying to engage in a meaningful critique of rape in fiction, Desborough essentially creates a discursive space wherein only the “predictable and stupid” (his words) can disagree with him, utterly ignoring the content of the actual criticism in favor of a narrative of self-aggrandizing victimization.

Luke, that was a tremendous amount of words used to describe how Desborough is a fucking dipshit.

(People ask me why I cuss? Because it is more efficient that way.)

The Unstoppable Gravy Express said on June 15th, 2012 at 11:08 am

Sometimes it is necessary to be scientifically, mathematically precise as to the specific, quantifiable way in which somebody is a fucking dipshit, though. I mean, you don’t want every generation to have to re-prove Newton’s Laws from first principles.

Human being who doesn't hide behind fallacies said on June 15th, 2012 at 12:59 pm

The arrogant little shit has the gall to hide behind freedom of speech, calling anyone who doesn’t think rape is fucking awesome “pompous”.

This sociopath makes me want to raise money for rape charities, just so SOMETHING good can come of his nonsense.

highlyverbal said on June 15th, 2012 at 1:14 pm

@Luke: Shorter Desborough: rape victimization is spurious; his victimization is real.

Back in the day, I came to this blog for the Ultimate Power comics that had their dialogue replaced. Since then there’s been some really clever and interesting stuff; the “I Should Write” articles, the Civil War remixes, that time traveling Ringo Starr story stand out especially well. Heck, even the alignment charts and book cover remixes were amusing, if not all that inspired. It was good, and I kept coming back for more.

But this creative and stimulating blog has turned into… well… just another blog where some guy and a friend talks about stuff.

I mean, I found there to be an amusing amount of meta-humor going on with the whole Avenger’s slashfic thing. An article in response to a comment on another article, which was itself a response to an article on another website where someone was responding to an original creation.

I dunno’. It just seems like hating on a moron doesn’t make anything better. Maybe when our bloggers stumble across people saying stupid things it bothers them, and they come here to vent? Problem is, I can either sit here and chime in “yeah! You go!” and join the echo chamber (when I agree) or say nothing (when I disagree). Either way though nothing actually changes. People still say stupid shit.

I mean, MGK is so upset about an idiot denying rape culture or something that he vents his annoyance here. Actually linking to a local abused women’s shelter that takes online donations or Rape Hotline or something wouldn’t make Desborough less of a douche, but it might help make the world a better place.

Ultimately, it’s not my blog. MGK can post nothing but the endlessly looping gif files from 1994 if he wants to. He can rant and rave about some obscure nobody he just discovered (I mean, who the hell cared what Desborough was poorly trying to do before this?). I just have better things to appreciate someone who belches up bad food that disagreed with them.

tl;dr – original content made this blog great, not bitching about other people’s stupidity to disconnected third parties.

William Kendall said on June 15th, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Desborough is, in three words: a fucking idiot.

Mecha Velma said on June 15th, 2012 at 6:01 pm

After al these compelling arguments, i’ve decided that upon writing my first webcomic, the first thing I’m going to do is RAPE the heroine.

One of the ideas I’ve always had for writing is to leave the characters non-gendered until the events are plotted out, then start flipping coins. I’m not sure if it’d be feasible, though.

Dirge: Right there with you buddy.
Sumguy: That is an amazing idea. Thank you.

Parhelion said on June 16th, 2012 at 8:27 pm

@Dirge

While I understand your concerns, especially given that I first showed up here to read MGK’s Doctor Strange series, permit me to reassure you about your fears that posts such as this one don’t make anything better or change anything.

I think you might be forgetting the interest and usefulness such discussions have for large groups of fans who may or may not be MGK’s friends. If people such as this Desborough prat are the only ones to discuss rape as a plot element, for example, the subsequent silence implies that attitudes such as Desborough’s aren’t awful enough, or even important enough, to be noticed by the fan community as a whole. Then a lot of us would have to spend our leisure time — and, in my case, part of of my working hours — elsewhere. So I can verify first hand that this post does some good.

Sure, reading about the role of rape in rotten writing might not be as interesting for some as reading about the role of wretched continuity reboots in rotten writing. And donations to woman’s shelters are, in fact, useful. But, for those of us who life forces to be interested in issues such as the ones this posts covers, MGK’s chop jobs are just as compelling and amusing as they were during his Civil War remix posts. Given all this, I promise you don’t need to fear the site is running downhill whenever MGK drifts away from your interests for a while, any more than I worry about a possible fall-off of overall quality due to his pirate comics. He seems to be good across the board.

Dirge93: dunno, dude, I still think everything MGK posts is still in the same spirit of what he was originally doing, and his voice, insight, and execution still make this a must-visit site for me, unlike say The ISB (my previous favorite comics-aligned blog) which lost its spark and is now largely a linkfarm that doesn’t allow comments.

Still can’t wait for more Who’s Who entries, though.

Re: original content.

1.) I understand that people want to see it. I’m not an idiot. 🙂

2.) It takes time to produce, and I am sort of busy with being a lawyer and paying down my massive student debt. But I do try to keep making it. You still see alignment charts. You still get collections of Photoshopped gags every once in a while, although I’m a bit bored these days with “take pop culture product, give it snarky title” and am trying to branch away from it.

3.) But at minimum, you get one page of Al’Rashad a week, and have done for over two years now. I mean, come on. I gotta get some credit for that, right?

Stranger Danger said on June 17th, 2012 at 4:33 am

Except “Al’Rashad” is not that good of a comic. Just sayin’. Much love. Long-time reader, first time caller. “Al’Rashad” is bland, bland, bland.

Candlejack said on June 17th, 2012 at 1:44 pm

I’ve enjoyed Al’Rashad quite a bit, and look forward to it every week. To each his own, I guess.

John 2.0 said on June 18th, 2012 at 6:49 pm

@sum guy: according to the “making of” documentary that’s what happened with the character Ripley in Alien. The initial script treatment had only last names and (I think) Dan O’Brian only decided to make Ripley female after the fact, after a producer asked if any of the characters were women.

He’s got a call for assistance out to help stop the censorship lining up against him: http://postmortemstudios.wordpress.com/2012/06/19/i-need-you-anti-censorship

I agree with you on principle, particularly when you are speaking of the issue in general. That being said, all forms of human darkness are fodder for literary exploration.
MGK I would be interested to hear your take on Donaldson’s “Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever”

[…] http://mightygodking.com/index.php/2012/06/13/in-offence-re-rape/Here is a rebuttal, which points out why Desborough’s arguments are noxious. The takeaway? At best, James Desborough is a terrible writer who does not understand his audience. At worst? There’s a reason all of his works centre around rape and sexual assault as entertainment/humour and that reason is very, very scary. […]

While it’s not as annoying as rape used as a plot device the follow-up where the man then avenges his woman’s rape is kind of annoying. As though it’s still a crime against a man’s property.

I would say that this depends on how the “avenging” is handled. I believe it’s very possible for a man (or anyone) to do this because someone has been wronged, not because his property has been damaged. Of course, it’s all in how the “avenger’s” motivation is written. It is possible for the person avenging the rape to be a horrible human being, doing it all for the wrong reasons if you want an unsympathetic character. Lots of fiction has those “people you just love to hate” in it.

“Using [rape] to generate some conflict in your boring shitty story trivializes it because you are making the statement in choosing to do so that what happened to them is unimportant, because your boring shitty story is unimportant.”

So … using rape in a story is bad if the story is boring and shitty? Does that mean rape in a good story is fine? And who gets to decide what stories are “boring and shitty”?

As to the “lazy” part of this morass, the article doesn’t explain why it IS lazy. The article takes apart Desborough’s argument but doesn’t offer up an alternative.

Alternative? You mean, not using rape as a cheap way to generate some conflict? That would seem pretty obvious.

[…] of a stir. It might be more appropriate to say that the responses to it have caused the stir – Responses, counter-responses, a PR message from Mongoose, a publicized email exchange, and an online petition […]

bad johnny got out said on June 25th, 2012 at 2:41 pm

That’s the deal all right.

And who gets to decide what stories are “boring and shitty”?

It’s you!

[…] books as Sex, Dice and Gamer Chicks it’s hardly surprising that some people didn’t take the message quite as he intended […]