6C is Tom Moon from the Stand
6E is launched a gravity generator to replace the destroyed moon.

The Unstoppable Gravy Express said on January 2nd, 2013 at 2:48 pm

1A – BAD Wolf
1B –
1C – BAD Horse
1D –
1E –
1F –
1G – Johnny B. BAD
1H –
1I – Milk & Cheese: Dairy Products gone BAD

Not Tom Moon, but Tom “M-o-o-n” Cullen

1E is Wil Smith and Martin Lawrence from the first Bad Boys

The Unstoppable Gravy Express said on January 2nd, 2013 at 3:05 pm

5C – Swamp Thing?

7C has got to be Syndrome, from the Incredibles.

switchnode said on January 2nd, 2013 at 3:49 pm

I was uncertain before about 7B—the language of the question seemed like a quotation—but looks like 7’s theme confirms the Death STAR.

LightlyFrosted said on January 2nd, 2013 at 3:54 pm

Switchnode: Or a Super STAR Destroyer. Death Star was more of a space station.

switchnode said on January 2nd, 2013 at 3:59 pm

1B: Bad Dudes?

6D – Luna Vachon

Now that the themes are figured out, this is somewhat simpler.

1H: Strong Bad.

2A: The Great Gazoo.
2E: “Great Stump”, from “A Wheel of Time”
2F: From the episode, “Homer The Great”
2G: Tolkien’s Great Eagles.
2I: “The Great Escape”.

3B: “Saint Petersburg”, a card game.

4F: The “Darkglass Mountain” trilogy.
4H: The Glass Bead Game, from the book of the same name.
4I: The Gallowglas-class ‘mech.

5A: “Children Shouldn’t Play With Dead Things”

5I: The Ook and the Znutar, as noted, were from the boardgame “Awful Green Things From Outer Space” (haven’t seen that one in 25 years).

6B: Sam Bell, in “Moon”.
6F: Pretty sure this is a reference to a Supernatural episode called “Dark Side of the Moon”.
6G: The Sigmund Corp, from the videogame “To The Moon”.

3F: Monty Python’s Saint Victor cried out, “This…is fantastic! Oh…this is terrific!”, and later that the Lord was a rotten bastard.

3H: Various Batman books — The Order of St Dumas.

3I: I was trying so hard to figure out where “Things To Do in Denver When You’re Dead” fit in category 5, I completely overlooked this question. “Jimmy the Saint”.

Mitchell Hundred said on January 2nd, 2013 at 6:56 pm

Is 1B a bad enough dude? As in, a dude who is bad enough to rescue the President (and subsequently have a burger with him)?

I’m suprised no-one’s spotted 2H yet (“Great Ceasar’s Ghost!”) – which confirms that 2’s theme is “great”… And therefore 2C is indeed The Great Muta, and not Ric Flair like I was originally going to post. Well spotted, Cesari (Ceasar!).

Oh, and 6H is indeed Moon Knight. The TV show was was part of Bendis’s (rather frustrating) run. I wish people’d stop resetting the entire supporting cast every single time they relaunch his ongoing…

(I’m a Moon Knight and a Kane fan – I’m obviously a sucker for once-a-year abortive pushes!)

4G- Dragon Glass/obsidian

Matthew J. Brady said on January 3rd, 2013 at 12:54 am

5H is The Thing With Two Heads.

UnlikeyLass said on January 3rd, 2013 at 9:48 am

5B may be Ms. Thing from the current FF series

5G is probably Benjy Grimm (“Thing rings, do your thing!”) from the 70s era Thing cartoon.

Cosmic Tuesdays said on January 3rd, 2013 at 1:30 pm

My guess for 6I is Hugo Danner from the novel Gladiator.

Do I get partial credit for at least knowing that exists?

The Unstoppable Gravy Express said on January 3rd, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Of course! You would get even more credit if the word “Moon” figured into it somehow (see above).

1A Bad Wolf
1B Bill and Ted?
1C Bad Horse
1F Sgt. Michael “Mike” Vronsky (Deer Hunter)
1H Strong Bad
2A The Great Gazoo!
2E A Great Stump?
2F Homer Simpson
2G The Great Eagles
2H “Great Caesar’s Ghost!”
3A Penance
3C the crew of the Icarus Two?
3F “This is fantastic!”

3G either James Kirk, Jean Juc Picard, possibly Captain Janeway but I didn’t watch that show, or Stefan Salvatore, depending on what show you watch (yeah I know you’re probably not talking about Stefan Salvatore)

3H The Order of St. Dumas
5H Castor Troy

3d is the Third Street Saints from Saints Row

Llelldorin said on January 4th, 2013 at 12:47 pm

If 7 is star, then 7E is just “stars” (the Malloreon–prophecy of Torak)

HudsonWilliamsH said on January 4th, 2013 at 11:01 pm

5H – Fred Ward played Remo Williams

HudsonWilliamsH said on January 4th, 2013 at 11:05 pm

Oops. No “thing” in my answer – Thing with Two Heads it is, I gess.

Collecting everybody’s answers that seem to fit the categories; apologies if I missed any.

Category 1: BAD (incomplete)
1A: Bad Wolf
1B: Bad Dudes
1C: Bad Horse
1D: ??
1E: Bad Boys
1F: ??
1G: Johnny B. Badd
1H: Strong Bad
1I: Milk & Cheese, Dairy Products Gone Bad

Category 2: GREAT (incomplete)
2A: The Great Gazoo
2B: Gonzo the Great
2C: The Great Muta
2D: ??
2E: The Great Stump
2F: The Stonecutters (“Homer the Great”)
2G: The Great Eagles
2H: Great Caesar’s Ghost!
2I: “The Great Escape”

Category 3: SAINT (complete!)
3A: Penance (family name: St Croix)
3B: The card game Saint Petersberg
3C: Saint Walker
3D: Third Street Saints
3E: Boondock Saints
3F: Saint Victor exclaimed, “This…is fantastic! Oh…this is terrific!”
3G: The Saint
3H: The Order of St Dumas
3I: Jimmy the Saint

Category 4: GLASS (incomplete)
4A: John Uskglass
4B: Mr Glass
4C: ??
4D: ??
4E: “Wizard and Glass”
4F: Darkglass Mountain trilogy
4G: Dragon glass
4H: The Glass Bead Game
4I: Gallowglas class ‘mech

Category 5: THING (incomplete)
5A: “Children Shouldn’t Play With Dead Things”
5B: Ms Thing
5C: Swamp Thing
5D: The Thing [From Another World]
5E: ??
5F: “Where The Wild Things Are”
5G: Benjy Grimm, the Thing
5H: “The Thing With Two Heads”
5I: The Ook, aka “Dat Ook ‘Ting” (“The Awful Green Things From Outer Space”)

Category 6: MOON (incomplete)
6A: To reach the moon
6B: Sam Bell (“Moon”)
6C: Tom “m-o-o-n” Cullen
6D: Luna Vachon
6E: replace the destroyed moon
6F: ??
6G: Sigmund Corp (“To The Moon”)
6H: Moon Knight
6I: ??

Category 7: STAR (incomplete)
7A: Haley Starshine
7B: Death Star or [Super] Star Destroyer
7C: Jack Knight (“Starman”)
7D: ??
7E: Stars
7F: Starbuck
7G: Vanth Dreadstar
7H: Yvaine the fallen star (“Stardust”)
7I: Battlestar Pegasus

My best guess for 6I is Jack Russell, Werewolf by Night, but you guys kicked some major butt on this thing and I am impressed

ONE
a. Who

b. Yes he did.

c. There’s no one else in the universe that would hate him that much.

d. He’s not illiterate, he only reads his native Gallifreyan without Tardis help though.

e. I think it was #10, in that episode where there is a clone version.

f. When that hunter was a Dalek sent after the wrong Time Lord.

g. Well when he first touched reincarnated and thought he was a girl it might have been vanity, but I don’t think so.

h. Ok, well it wasn’t really a dream. He was going to scrub that space whale because he thought it was the kindest thing under the circumstances.

i. Sontarans.

you’re all barking up the wrong tree 1A is clearly Doc Scratch

The Unstoppable Gravy Express said on January 7th, 2013 at 9:40 am

How long do we have left to guess the remaining ones before answers get posted? 🙂

I’ll give it another week, I think. I know some other people elsewhere are working on the answers in teams themselves.

I suspect 7D is Jason Quill, the Starlord. Not sure about any of the rest.

7D is Peter Quill, the StarLord.

The Unstoppable Gravy Express said on January 9th, 2013 at 10:35 am

7D is Adam Quill, the Star Lord. (this is fun!)

[…] (P.S. Although still probably much easier than the real KWC Quiz, this should be much harder than last year or the year before.) […]

[…] you’re new to this, you might want to look at last year’s quiz or the 2013 or 2012 quizzes in order to get an idea (from the commenters’ working to solve them) of how these […]