I was going to say that Lois didn’t figure it out in All-Star Superman, and in fact refused to believe it – but then I remembered that was because she HAD, in the past, figured it out on her own but Superman had gone to such extreme lengths to keep her from knowing that she subconsciously refused to believe what she had known all along once Superman finally told her, because she was pissed at him for keeping his identity a secret from her, and was punishing him for it.

As for Superman having a kid, i’m not sure it worked in Superman Returns

Nothing worked in Superman Returns. There were so many ideas at cross-purposes in that movie, I don’t think it really mattered if any of them were good on their own or not. That movie was just a hot mess.

I really can’t imagine a Lois Lane series set in the modern day being particularly interesting. Even if you did eschew the Super Hero trappings as much as possible (ala Gotham Central), you eventually have to have Lois face some sort of threat to build drama. And what can possibly threaten someone whose married to Superman, tangentially related to Superboy, “Nightwing”, Mon-El, Supergirl and Krypto, and on a first name basis with several past and present Justice League members?

As long as none of those people are present at the time, just about anyone.

FreeJaffa said on March 1st, 2010 at 9:23 am

On the subject of similarities between Spider-Man and Charlie Brown, I present this: http://www.letsbefriendsagain.com/2009/07/14/lil-folks/.

Sofa King said on March 1st, 2010 at 12:57 pm

?And what can possibly threaten someone whose married to Superman, tangentially related to Superboy, “Nightwing”, Mon-El, Supergirl and Krypto, and on a first name basis with several past and present Justice League members?”

Rex, obviously.

gustopher said on March 1st, 2010 at 9:42 pm

“And what can possibly threaten someone whose married to Superman, tangentially related to Superboy, “Nightwing”, Mon-El, Supergirl and Krypto, and on a first name basis with several past and present Justice League members?”

No, no, not Rex. Rex is good, rex would never hurt anyone.

But Rex the Mother Fucking Wonder Dog’s litter of incestuous offspring that he had with his mother? They’re evil.

Awesome stuff – I don’t read a lot of comics these days, but I like the fact you can always make me re-explore some of the conceptions I had when I did read them MGK. Cheers mate.

The Superman/Lois Lane relationship represents everything that is wrong with comics. It is boring and predictable and has been done to death. As difficult as it is for many to admit, his perfect match IS Wonder Woman.

Wow, just stumbled across this post. What a fantastic article. I agree with you on all points. I would kill to have a really good Loia Lane comic.

Re:lloydy–I don’t think it’s difficult for anyone to admit anything about Wonder Woman. Why do you feel the need to state your OPINION as a fact? The truth is that many people just don’t agree with you.

Lois Lane is a very strong, flawed character. There are always going to be a small number of detractors who don’t like her. That’s part of what makes her so fascinating though because what dynamic character in our popculture DOESN’T have detractors? She has the ability to do what many strong women in our real world do: make people uncomfortable.

I like Wonder Woman as a character. But she’s not a romantic or sexual match for Superman, in my opinion. She’s too much like him.

Realistically, if Clark Kent were a real person I can believe that he would go after a woman like Lois Lane. He’s not going to be drawn to a perfect woman like Wonder Woman who is so much LIKE him in so many ways. How many “perfect” people in this world do you know who are drawn to people exactly like him? More often, psychologists will tell you that people are often drawn to people who represent qualities that we admire in others but don’t always possess in ourselves.

Superman is the strongest man in the world. It makes total sense that he would be drawn to a woman that is extremely strong with the ability to drive everyone a little bit crazy. It’s the best way to keep him entertained and invested for so many years. He can never get bored.

There’s nothing predictable about that. Realistic…yes. Predictable..no. They don’t always mean the same thing.

All I need to ask myself is: what is more fun?
Superman in love a flawed, intense, passionate, sexy woman like Lois? Or Superman in love with a perfect superhero like Wonder Woman? It’s no contest. Lois wins out.

And yes, Smallville’s version of Clark and Lois is freaking brilliant. That show has made a ton of mistakes but they’ve done something really really brilliant with Lois. She’s a well intentioned trouble maker but you always know her heart is in the right place.

The fundamental problem with Lois Lane is that women wind up getting held to a lower standard.

She is consistently rude to Clark Kent. Not just when he makes mistakes, but in general. She tends to come across not as a strong independent woman, but a bitch. Why shouldn’t sh ebe held to the same standard as Superman, and be kind, humble, and polite in addition to being independent and strong? And here is the key problem I have with Lois Lane- she doesn’t come across as Superman’s equal. Superman is always polite and humble and kind- and he does the right thing. Lois Lane comes across as a bitch who tries to do the right thing. Lois Lane could only be Superman’s equal if she was perpetually polite and nice like he is. My point is that Superman manages to be perfect in every way- He is extremely intelligent (Maybe not as good as Lex Luthor at building robots, but he still builds them) Overwhelmingly moral, (no real comparison here) and an ace reporter/detective to boot (Maybe not as good as Lois Lane, but pretty close.) Since when has Lois Lane built robots?

And that is part of the problem which arguably lies with Superman himself- he is both Superman and Batman at the same time. He can build super robots, super advanced alien technology lightyears beyond anything Batman can build, do the Ace Reporter thing roughly as well as Lois Lane, and has all his insane powers on top of it. The problem with arguing that Lois Lane can be flawed and still be Superman’s equal is that Superman himself doesn’t really have any flaws, on any level. His perfection goes past the physical. Someone else might exceed him in a given area (like the Flash being faster) But his general theme is one of overall perfection. Only someone who is perfect could be his equal.

Superman is a master of all trades, who is occasionally exceeded in a single area by other masters. Lois Lane is not. Superman is a detective, an engineer, and he has super powers. The fact that Lois Lane has mad detective skills does not make her his equal.

EDIT: I want to state I haven’t read a lot of comics with Superman in a long time- so when I refer to Lois being rude I am referring to ones I read. Meh.

garrowgeek said on August 2nd, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Iloydy – yes, Wonder Woman may be Superman’s perfect match, but Clark Kent’s is definitely Lois Lane.

[…] already done insightful pieces on Lois Lane and Lex Luthor, but I need something to sell people on reading Superman. A lot of my friends think […]

This is such a lovely article. Thank you for sharing.

In one of the JLA novels (Yes, I know that makes me a geek) Superman actually manipulates how he stands and his musculoskeletal system to the point where he muses on the fact that it’s true that “his look alikes are half a head taller than he is.”

Derp, I forgot to finish my comment while I was looking it up.

My point was, that makes Lois even smarter than people give her credit for. He modulated his voice (this is canon), in some cases used Super X/Y/Z, in other instances he changed how he looked through posture and other things (in one of the comics he’s told to study how a man could pull off two different people without people realizing it in a play), and she still figured it out.

1eclecticreader said on June 15th, 2011 at 12:43 am

Just wanted to let you know that I think this article is amazing. Well done. Thank you!

Alegretto said on April 16th, 2012 at 11:22 pm

Reading this awesome post in the current, Nu52 state of things, is particularly maddening. And sad.

The aggressive bacheloritism inherited from Quesada doesn’t make much sense to me.

So regarding the criticisms levied against Lois in the above thread — here’s my take on things:

Lois’ quote-“bitchy”-unquote personality, in my mind, has more to do with the realities of the workplace than anything else. What do you think happens to nice, polite, humble people in the workplace (especially women)? They get ignored. They fade into the background. They don’t get the big scoops, they don’t get resources, and they don’t get the front-page editorials when they really have something to say.

Lois has come way, way too far to put up with that shit. And remember, she hasn’t had anything handed to her. She wasn’t born a princess or a billionaire. Her dad was a stern Army officer who expected her to fend for herself. She probably had to put herself through college — then work and fight and claw her way up from the ground floor, all just to get to the position where she finally has the editor’s ear and the ability to do some good. And make no mistake — just like Superman, Lois, at her core, is here to Save The World. She’s here to pull apart the lies and the bullshit and tell people the truth, come hell or high water. Is she nice? Maybe not, but nice doesn’t write headlines – or, at least, it sure as hell hasn’t for her.

Clark, in contrast, is quite happy to fade into the background — hell, that’s half of the point for him. He’s just a costume change away from getting the attention of the world. And I think that part of his attraction to Lois comes from her being a Type-A self-made woman. Because Clark knows that he’s lucky. Oh, sure, his life is no picnic – parents dead, last of his kind, weight of the world on his shoulders – but he’s pretty much won the Ultimate Genetic Lottery Jackpot and he knows it. (And, to his credit, is trying to use his gifts for everyone’s benefit.) So of course he’s going to respect and admire a fighter like Lois, someone who’s started from nothing and built higher and higher (especially since – unlike, say, Luthor – she hasn’t thrown morality completely out the window in the process). Because Clark has never had to do that. Not really, anyway. And he’s fully aware of it.

So that’s why I think the dynamic works. And also why I think the logical conclusion of the two getting married is for Lois to become a superhero herself (at least part-time). But that’s another story.